Several years in a row, my friend Fiona has set a numbered list of goals or intentions for the new year, linking the number of goals with the year. Nineteen things for 2019, this year. After our coffee-shop reflection the other day, I finished a list of my own.
This blog doesn’t quite feel the right place to share this — I apologise if you’ve found this post in a hunt for information about Timor-Leste visas or vaccinations or driving on which side of the road — but as I learned this year with my reading goals, public posting keeps me accountable to what I want to do, and I like the cryptic hint of this brief list: I know exactly what each of these goals represents and the bigger part of my life it’s aligned to, but here on this blog it’s a patchwork; sunlight public threads of a private life.
These are not quite resolutions; more nodes, for focus. Here are my 19 things for 2019.
19 things for 2019
- Don’t try to save money
- Invest time and money in my writing work
- Take a pottery course
- Perfect an omelette
- Wear more red, orange and gold
- Make a zine for myself
- Become a Patreon
- Cook with fennel seeds, curry leaves, turmeric, mustard seeds
- Practise photography
- Try veganism
- Ask kind and thoughtful questions
- Finish the community development course
- Add image descriptions to my photos
- Apply for university
- Say hard nos and only cheap yeses
- Regular journalling
- Bread and beautiful music
- Sunscreen and floss
- Practise peace with the fact that we don’t know what comes next